Saturday, September 03, 2005

Unspoken, by Angela Hunt

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds of the air, and they will tell you; or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish of the sea inform you. Which of all these does not know that the hand of the Lord has done this? In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind." - Job 12:7-10

A PETA advocate I'm not. However, I have modified my views on animals since reading this provocative novel about gorillas. Remember Dian Fossey's Gorillas in the Mist? Or Koko the gorilla, trained by Penny Patterson? Sema, the gorilla in this work of fiction, exhibits many of the same behaviors as Koko did in real life. Only Hunt goes farther - you'll have to read it to see what I mean. Bravo, Angela Hunt. I will never see animals in the same way again.

See my reviews of this at www.dancingword.net and www.infuzemag.com.