Friday, July 21, 2006

For You are my hiding place...Psalm 32:7a

"The truth, Sir, is that God's viewpoint is sometimes different from ours - so different that we could not even guess at it unless He had given us a Book which tells us such things." - Corrie ten Boom to a German lietenant while in prison

"I pity the poor Germans, Corrie. They have touched the apple of God's eye." - Casper ten Boom, watching German soldiers taking Jews and sympathizers away

"If I go home today, tomorrow I will open my door again to any man in need who knocks." - Casper ten Boom, when told by a Gestapo chief he would be freed if he would not cause any more trouble (Casper's arrest eventually led to his death)

"Thank you for the very crowding here. Since we're packed so close, that many more will hear!" - Betsie ten Boom praying with Corrie in their barracks at the Ravensbruck concentration camp, flea and lice-bitten and near starvation

These quotes come from The Hiding Place, the well-known true story of a Dutch family providing underground assistance to Jews during World War II. These brave Christians acted on their belief that all life was precious, and that giving one's life for another was a privilege.

We are so blessed in America. Over-blessed, I think. We have too many distractions that keep us from getting to know God - to sit quietly in His presence and learn from Him. I often wonder how I would respond in tragic times. Hopefully, I would act in faith, as the ten Booms did. They had next to nothing materially, but they had all they needed in Christ. May God not have us become destitute in a war-ridden country in order for us to become totally dependent on Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment